My Ireland, a Celtic Cape knit along.

Just about a year ago now, I received an invitation to join a group on Ravelry.com called 'Ryans Eejits and those that fit in' ..... I accepted the invitation and found a family.

Then last fall, Meagheen (hereafter called Meggie!), asked who among us might be interested in knitting a Celtic cape. I think she might have been overwhelmed by the resounding response she got!

There are now over 100 of us around the world knitting the Story of Meggie's Ireland. Not all of us have Irish in our backgrounds but we all love Ireland's legacy of Celtic knots.

This blog will be my journal of that journey - My Ireland. As I knit my cape, I will post pictures of the patterns Meggie has designed and tell the stories behind those patterns - the story of an Irish lass and her family and the country they come from.

For myself, my paternal blood-grandmother was Irish - I'm told she had red hair and green eyes. I've never seen a picture of her, don't even know her name because of family dynamics but somehow some part of that Irish blood lives in me.

Eventually, the pattern for the cape will be available for sale. When that happens, all proceeds from sale will benefit yet another charity. Each pattern Meggie puts up for sale has a designated charity which receives the proceeds from all sales of that pattern.

To see more of this incredible artist's work, please check out Meagheen's Ravelry Store on Ravelry.com.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Yarn has arrived!

I've had the darkest gray for some time now, but yesterday I received 2 hanks of the lightest gray, plus some sock weight yarn in case I decide to make the elbow-length gloves that are being designed to go with this cape. I've got the yarn in center pull balls, now, and I've decided how I'm going to make my hood. The edge facing will be in the dark gray, which I've started, and the hood will be in the palest gray, with the colors going darker as I go down the cape. There is an I-cord edging on the facing which I'm planning on doing in the pale gray of the hood - gotta make sure I keep enough of the pale gray to do that.  :)

As soon as I get the facing done, I'll post a picture of it.